Podiatry Today

Local flaps for wounds: Rules of rotation and advancement

June 21, 2016

Soft tissue reconstruction in the surgical management of lower extremity wounds can pose a challenge to surgeons involved with these high-risk patient populations.

Read the full article →

Current insights on treating common dance injuries

June 21, 2016

Frequently subjecting the lower extremity to constant stress, dancers can be prone to dermatological issues, injuries due to biomechanical etiologies and bone injuries. Accordingly, this author discusses key intrinsic factors with this patient population, keys to the diagnostic workup and how to facilitate a timely return to the stage.

Read the full article →

Does barefoot running lower the incidence of musculoskeletal injuries?

June 14, 2016

Lower extremity injuries are extremely common among runners. Approximately, 79 percent of runners sustain at least one lower extremity injury per year

Read the full article →

When is a fibula rod procedure indicated for ankle fractures?

June 14, 2016

Ankle injuries account for more than 5 million emergency department visits annually. Ankle sprains comprise approximately 85 percent of these ankle injuries and fractures make up the other 15 percent. The ankle fracture is the most common intra-articular fracture of a weightbearing joint, making up 9 percent of all fractures.

Read the full article →

Addressing the role of equinus in stage ii adult-acquired flatfoot

June 7, 2016

Recognizing equinus as a key deforming force in those with stage II adult-acquired flatfoot, this author offers a primer on anatomical considerations, pertinent diagnostic pearls and insights on conservative and surgical treatment options, including percutaneous Achilles tendon lengthening.

Read the full article →

Keys to diagnosing and treating plantar keratosis

June 7, 2016

Due to the varying presentations and causes of plantar keratosis, it is crucial to make an accurate diagnosis to facilitate effective treatment. These authors present a comprehensive guide to biomechanical and dermatological lesions as well as options for management.

Read the full article →

Using an AFO to treat an Achilles tendon rupture

May 31, 2016

The incidence of Achilles tendon ruptures is on the rise. The largest increase in frequency of this injury has been in patients over the age of 50

Read the full article →

A closer look at Buerger’s disease in the lower extremity

May 17, 2016

Buerger’s disease, which is also known as thromboangiitis obliterans, is a rare disease affecting the small and medium-sized vessels of the peripheral arterial and venous systems. It is a nonatherosclerotic inflammatory disorder of unknown etiology. Smoking is the most important risk factor for Buerger’s disease

Read the full article →

Can autologous fat grafting help address fat pad atrophy in patients with diabetes?

May 10, 2016

The feet support the entire body and are subject to repetitive mechanical trauma throughout a lifetime, thereby propagating the atrophy of the plantar fat pad.

Read the full article →

When patients present with posterior ankle impingement

May 10, 2016

Posterior ankle impingement can be a result of a number of entities including soft tissue impingement, a prominent bony process or unfused ossicles. Patients typically relate pain with forced or repeated plantarfleixon at the ankle, which can cause acute and chronic impingement/synovitis or bony contusions as well as restricted motion in the ankle or subtalar joint

Read the full article →